What should I do if I was in an accident with an uninsured driver in Washington?

You should contact your lawyer as soon as possible. Just because the person who hit you or caused the collision is uninsured doesn’t mean that you can’t recover. It may be that the person who was driving the car wasn’t the owner of the car, and that there’s auto insurance on the car itself. Or, it may be that your insurance coverage will step into the shoes of the person who didn’t have insurance, and that you will get compensated anyway. There also may be other factors at hand, such as road to sign, or a problem with the car. There’s just no way for you know, really, how you’re going to be able to get compensated without talking to an attorney. Please, don’t let the fact that the other person was uninsured keep you from contacting us.

What type of auto insurance is required in Washington?

The only type that is actually required by law is liability insurance. You have to have at least $25000 of liability insurance. The purpose of that is to protect you if you injure someone. If you injure someone else and you didn’t intend it, then your insurance company will step in and hire you a lawyer for free and pay up to $25000 per person who you injure. That’s the kind of insurance that you’re required to get.

Who pays for a crash with injuries in Washington when neither the owner nor operator of the at-fault car carried coverage?

Unfortunately, this happens more than you might think, even though insurance is required in Washington. What you need to do is you need to purchase UIM insurance, which is called Underinsured Motorist or Uninsured Motorist. It’s a type of coverage that you purchase from your automobile insurance agent. Buy as much of that as you can. I’ll say that again. Buy as much of that as you can, because it will protect you if the person who hit you had no insurance or not enough insurance. Your premiums won’t go up, but you’ll be really glad that you had that insurance.