It does if you purchase the right kind of coverage. There are two kinds of coverage that are really important that everyone who drives a car should have. The first is called Personal Injury Protection insurance also known as PIP. That’ll cover your medical bill so if you’re riding a bike or even if you’re walking or running or you’re a passenger in someone else’s car, that will cover your medical bills and it’s much much better than health insurance. Always purchase PIP. Then the other one is UIM insurance. That refers to Uninsured or Under-insured Motorists so if the person who hit you didn’t have enough insurance, then this goes to your insurance and your insurance floats on top of that and pays you. Don’t worry, it doesn’t make your rates go up so buy these two types of insurance, as much as you can afford, and that will help you in so many different ways. You have to protect yourself.